- Google Scholar lists my h-index as 14, and my i10-index as 15, with 489 citations to date.
- Awarded £218,727 in research funding, scholarships, and awards to date.
- Over 7,800 followers, over 58,000 unique views, and in the top 1% on Academia.edu, the world’s leading academic social networking website.
- Peer reviewer for 31 different journals, in addition to numerous monograph proposal and funding reviews.
- Work has been translated into Spanish.
- PhD Social Policy, Open University, UK (Oct 2005-Feb 2009)
- MRes Social Science Research Methods, Goldsmiths, University of London, UK (Oct 2004-July 2005)
- BA Sociology, University of Leeds, UK (Oct 2000-July 2003)
- Reader in Education, Cass School of Education and Communities, University of East London (July 2016-Present)
- Senior Lecturer, Cass School of Education and Communities, University of East London (Feb 2015-June 2016)
- Research Fellow, School of Education, University of Roehampton (Sept 2012-Jan 2015)
- Research Associate, School of Education, University of Roehampton (July 2011-June 2012)
- Research Assistant, School of Education, University of Roehampton (July 2010-June 2011)
- FHEA, Fellow of Higher Education Academy (HEA) (Oct 2013-Present)
SCHOLARSHIPS AND FUNDING
- Readiness for REF Impact Fund; Debating the Future of School Governance; University of East London; £2,581 (July 2016)
- Future Research Leaders; School Accountability: A Comparative Study of Policy and Practice; Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC); £164,978 (Oct 2012-Jan 2015)
- CCIG PhD Studentship; School Choice and Constructing the Active Citizen; Centre for Citizenship, Identity and Governance (CCIG), The Open University; £51,168 (Oct 2005-Jan 2009)
- Joint-second prize for books published in 2016; Prize: £1000. Book: Modernising school governance: Corporate planning and expert handling in state education (Routledge). Awarding body: Society for Educational Studies (SES) (Nov 2017).
- Nominated for a University of East London (UEL) Student Led Teaching Award (SLTA) (May 2018)
- Journal article (‘Governing through parents: a genealogical enquiry of education policy and the construction of neoliberal subjectivities in England’, co-authored with Antonio Olmedo) nominated as ‘Editor’s Choice’ in Discourse: Studies in Cultural Politics of Education (May 2017).
EDITORIAL BOARD MEMBERSHIPS
- Journal of Education Policy (JEP); Editorial Advisory Board Member (Sept 2018-Present)
- Critical Studies in Education (CSE); Associate Editor (Feb 2018-present)
- Journal for Critical Education Policy Studies (JCEPS); Editorial Advisory Board Member (Sept 2017-Present)
- British Journal of Sociology of Education (BJSE); Editorial Advisory Board Member (June 2017-Present)
- Social Theory and Methodology in Education Research; Bloomsbury Book Series; Editorial Board Member (June 2016-Present)
- Topical Issues of Pedagogy, Psychology and Professional Education (Ukrainian); Editorial Board (Feb 2016-Present)
- Journal of Applied Social Theory; Editorial Board Member (Nov 2015-Present)
- Journal of Pedagogy (JoP) (Slovak); Executive Editor Panel Member (March 2014-Present)
- ‘Human Education in the Third Millennium’ Initiative Group; Steering Committee Member (Sept 2018-Present)
- European Network on Neoliberal Education Policy (ENNEP); Member (Feb 2015-Present)
- International Centre for Public Pedagogy (ICPUP); Co-Director (Jan 2019-Present)
- Network of Theory Application; Member (May 2015-Present)
- Robert Owen Centre for Educational Change; Associate Member (May 2015-Present)
- Governance and Governing Research Interest Group (RIG); British Educational Leadership and Educational Research Society (BELMAS); Member (May 2017-Present)
- Social Theory and Education Special Interest Group; British Education Research Association (BERA); Co-convener (June 2017- Present)
- Higher Education Academy (HEA); Fellow (June 2013-Present)
- Peer Review College; ESRC. Member (Oct 2012-Present)
- Education International; Research mentioned in report ‘In sheep’s clothing: Philanthropy and the privatisation of the ‘democratic’ state’ (March 2019).
- University College London (UCL) IOE report; Research mentioned in report ‘Hierarchy, Markets and Network: Analysing the ‘self-improving school-led system’ agenda in England and the implications for schools’ (June 2018).
- Lloyds Banking Group’s (LBG) StandingOut pilot programme; Research mentioned in report ‘Evaluation of the Lloyds Banking Group (LBG) flagship school governance standout programme: final report’ (Feb 2018).
- Royal Society of Arts (RSA); Research mentioned in report ‘Who Governs Our Schools? Trends, Tensions and Opportunities’ (Sept 2017).
- School’s Week; Research mentioned in book review ‘Much promise: Successful schools in England’ (May 2017).
- Democratic Audit; Research discussed in online article ‘The ‘academy revolution’ is ousting governors. We need to hold these schools accountable’ (Jan 2017).
- UEL marketing; Research outlined in YouTube video podcast ‘Debating the role of democracy in neoliberal education’ (Dec 2016).
- School Business Manager; Research discussed in online article ‘Academy schools: Governance and financial responsibility’ (Dec 2016).
- Victorian Student Representative Council (VicSRC); Research discussed in report ‘Student Representation on School Governance Councils’ (Nov 2016).
- United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO); Research discussed in report ‘Direct transfers to schools: Reflections on practices in Latin America’ (August 2016).
- Cambridge Primary Review Trust; Research discussed in report ‘Academies: Autonomy, accountability, quality and evidence’ (June 2016).
- Discover Society; Research discussed in online article ‘The Emperor Comes to Town Again: Academies and their Sponsors’ (May 2016).
- School Business Manager; Research discussed in online article ‘Academy governance: Autonomy and accountability’ (May 2016).
- Royal Society of Arts; Research discussed in online article ‘Parent power! The opportunity is there. It’s now down to us to grasp it’ (April 2016).
- Local Government Knowledge Navigator; Research detailed on ESRC-funded project website ‘Research Facilitation for Local Government’ (Feb 2016).
- Modern Governor; Serialisation of journal article on governor support website (Oct 2015).
- iEd UK and PCG; Consultant to iEd UK and Public Consulting Group (PCG) at proof stage of development of professional training tool (Jan 2015).
- Governors Agenda; Research discussed in online article ‘Self-Review: Is it the panacea to good governance?’ (Jan 2015).
- Times Education Supplement (TES); Research outlined in online article ‘Are cliques taking control of our governing bodies?’ (Nov 2014).
- Economic and Social Research Council; Research outlined in press release ‘New role needed for ‘crucial’ amateur governors’ (Oct 2014).
- House of Commons Education Committee; Evidence submitted to select committee inquiry into academies and free schools. (Reference: AFS0008) (Feb 2013).